Whether you own a workshop or you just love DIY projects, there is no doubt that you will require various tools to perform different tasks. Even if these tools make the work easier, sometimes they can be very dangerous and can cause serious accidents. Some of these injuries may even lead to death. However, if you use these tools frequently, you can insure yourself form the accidents that might occur. Doing this will give you a guarantee that in case accidents happen, the insurance company will cater for your medical bills. Nonetheless, you need to go through the insurance policies to know which one is the best for which tool. Below are some of the most dangerous tools.
If you own a table saw, you are aware that these tools can be very dangerous and are likely to cause accidental cuts. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission- CPSC in the United States, the reported cases of injuries in year 2003 caused by table saws were almost 40, 000. Some resulted due to direct contact with the blade while others were caused by kickbacks which usually occur when cutting wood. The injuries caused by these tools not only causes emotional and physical pain but they also lead to high medical bills. If you are not insured some of these bills may be very difficult to pay.
- Anytime you are using a table saw, you must ensure that your eyes are well protected. The best way to do this is use of safety goggles or glass. You can also use a facemask.
- Height of the blade – Always ensure that the blade is not set to high because you can accidentally slip when cutting. You should never set it higher than 6 millimeters above the stock.
- Stand in the right place- The projectiles that fly from the machine usually do so in line with the blade. This means that you are not supposed to stand directly in line with the tool’s blade.
Just like any other tool, chainsaws can be very dangerous. If you have never used a chainsaw before to trim around your home, accidental cuts are likely to occur. This means that you have to ensure that you fully understand how it operates before using it. Their performance is usually determined in terms of horsepower. Since they use a spinning blade, you need to ensure that you hands do not get near the blade. A study by the CPSC found that in 1999, there were over 28,500 reported chain-saw injuries in the U.S.
- One of the best ways to prevent injuries when using a chainsaw is by ensuring that you are very stable when cutting. This means that you need to invest in quality shoes that will give you the required stability.
- Again, you can look for chainsaw chaps. The good thing about them is that they are resistant to cut. They also help to minimize impact in case unexpected thing happen.
- Another great method is ensuring that your eyes are covered. Apart from that, you need to ensure that your ears are also protected by use of earplugs. If you use a chainsaw a lot, an insurance cover will give you a piece of mind that in case something happens you will get compensated.
Circular saws are among the most abused tools especially by those who do DIY projects. Even if they are easy to use, sometimes they can be very unsafe. Most of the accidents caused by circular saws usually results from kickbacks. They also have circular blades which rotates at a high speed. This means that if you mishandle them, you are likely to cause serious injuries.
- Before you start using it, ensure that you already know how it works. If you are a beginner, you should go through the use manual to learn every detail you need to know about it.
- Always ensure that the blades are very sharp and free from pitch. Dull blades can result to kickbacks. Whether you are using it in your home or workshop, getting a suitable insurance cover is a great way to ensure that you can get compensated in case accidents occurs.
Nails guns are usually preferred because they do the job faster than when you are using a hammer. Since they are very powerful, it also means that they are equally dangerous. Most nail guns are able to drive a 3 inches nail over 1000 miles in an hour pr 15 feet per second. What you need to know is that these tools are so dangerous and they can even break bones. If you normally use nail guns, you must make sure that you have a reliable insurance cover because sometimes it may not be easy to prevent accidents. A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that nail gun injuries have nearly doubled since 2001
- To ensure that these guns do not shoot nails accidentally, most of the manufacturers include a sliding safety tip on their nail guns. This means that you will require pushing the safety tip down before pulling the trigger.
- Keep your fingers away from the trigger. Otherwise, you may accidentally shoot a nail on your foot or that of a colleague. Again, ensure that there is nobody near the nail’s path. You should also put your fingers at least 12 away from the nailing point.
Ladders are among the most common tools you cannot miss in many homes. They are very easy to use and at the same time are very dangerous. One of the major causes of ladder accidents is using the wrong type of ladder or a damaged ladder. Below are the safety measures you can take.
- Always check the weight capacity of the ladder to ensure that it can comfortably support your weight. You also need to consider the height so that you can choose a suitable ladder that matches the task.
- The other thing is that you should always ensure that it is very firm and stable on the ground.
- You should never try to change the default measurements of the ladder. That means that you should never try to change the height or change the materials.
Those are among the most dangerous tools that are likely to cause serious injuries when using them. However, taking an insurance cover that protects you from the accidents caused by those tools is a fantastic idea because you will not need to worry about high medical bills. Nonetheless, these accidents can easily be prevented if you take safety measures anytime you are using the tool.